Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programme, originally developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn in the late 1970s, and includes components of the related Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) programme that explicitly address the negative thought patterns that can perpetuate stress and lead to depression and anxiety.
This fundamental of this 8 week course explores the essential mindfulness meditation exercises and helps cultivate new skilful ways of dealing with what goes on in our bodies, minds and lives. In addition to the meditation exercises there is information (and discussion) on healing stress, relaxation, stress management, and how to apply mindfulness to interpersonal communication.
Based on our experience and published research in the field, the course and practices help participants:
• Stay focused on a task without the mind being distracted by thoughts about the past or future.
• Find a sense of calm in the midst of stressful or emotionally-challenging situations.
• Manage their own internal states, impulses and resources with greater awareness.
• Increase engagement and satisfaction with work.
• Identify and maintain their peak performance stress-level.
• Recognise and more skilfully deal with distraction, perfectionism, and procrastination.
• Improve listening and interpersonal communication skills.
• Cultivate resilience to help combat low-moods and poor self-esteem
By Alpa Joshi